Friday, August 19, 2011

Forced Changes

When we moved into our new house, the precious owner left behind a few things. All of which we have been thankful for:: terracotta flowerpots, work-benches in the shop, cans of Benjamin Moore paint, other odds and ends in the shop, a beautiful LIVING ficus tree in the house, and a Glade plug-in.

I have never had a Glade plugin before, but we have enjoyed the faint scent of freshness it puts in the air---that is, if you get the right scent. And, as we have now found out, if you have the plug-in turned in the right direction. For some reason, the last time I put the oil into the plugin, I turned it sideways. I noticed that the aroma was a bit too much, but could not figure out why. Dana, however, did. The oil was leaking out of its container. So, I took it out of the outlet, laid it on our beautiful bathroom countertop, and wiped up the oil.

Now, if you have been around me much lately, you will know how quickly I am forgetting things. Like the tea kettle on the stove, the laundry in the wash (gag!), the laundry in the dryer (and I do not like ironing), breakfast for myself, sometimes lunch, returning phone calls, appointments, setting my alarm, and even what the day is when my alarm DOES wake me up. But this day, I forgot about the plug-in.

Sitting on top of the wood countertop in the bathroom.

On that beautiful piece of furniture that helped me love the house just that smidgen more.

A few days later, I noticed the plugin on its side and thought, "I need to put that away!"...when I picked it up, there was a pool of oil underneath. With a bit of a growl at the extra work I made for myself, I went and got paper towels and pledge to clean up the mess.

What I cleaned off was the entire finish and the paint job of the piece.
AND the oil! I did get the oil!

All this time, I thought this bit of furniture was beautifully stained wood with an interesting and lovely wood-grain. Boy, was I wrong!!!!!

So now, we have this awful mess on a lovely piece of furniture:


what to do??....what to do??

Well, Dana remembered that one of the numerous things left in the shop were sheets of slate. THREE SHEETS OF SLATE!!!!!!! We will see what we can find out about how to use that slate as a countertop ("we" meaning "HE", with me cheering in the background!). I hope "we" can fix this mess and make this a lovely piece of furniture once again.

And, I will never, never, never, never, NE.VER. lay a Glade plug-in on a wooden counter-top again!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment